to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA effective date of claim

JayKay
forum member

Benefits adviser - Penwith Housing Association, Penzance

Send message

Total Posts: 139

I seem to remember that there was going to be a change to the effective date of claim, so that you would no longer get the 6 weeks from the date a DLA or AA form was requested to complete the form.

The claim form that I’ve just collected no longer has the two boxes on the first page with the date of request, and the date that the form has to be returned by.

However I can’t find any changes to the regs (Claims and Payments Regulations 1987 no 1968 reg 6(8)(8A)), or any draft changes…

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

Request one by telephone and it will be date stamped. The talk about reducing the 6 weeks never came to anything.

MarkRingsted
forum member

Macmillan Benefits South Essex

Send message

Total Posts: 20

DLA are no longer printing in colour. We have a batch of those without boxes and weve had them a year or so. I guess they are using up what they have before we go over to PIP

[ Edited: 11 Mar 2013 at 02:43 pm by shawn mach ]
JayKay
forum member

Benefits adviser - Penwith Housing Association, Penzance

Send message

Total Posts: 139

I’ve just picked up a claim for from our local JC+ - on the front it says ‘Please fill in this claim form and send it back to us as soon as possible.  We can only consider paying benefit from the day we receive it’.  I contacted the DLA helpline and they said that the six weeks backdating only applies if a claim form is requested over the telephone.

Cannot find any changes to the regs - they still say that there’s six weeks from the date a request is made for a form from an appropriate office - and can’t find any changes to the definition of an appropriate office.

Are they just chancing their arm here?

JK