× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Legal advice privilege new Supreme Court Decision

SElahi
forum member

Private Sector Housing, Blackburn with Darwen BC

Send message

Total Posts: 41

I don’t know if colleagues have seen the recent decision of the Supreme Court [2013] UKSC 1
On appeal from: [2010] EWCA Civ 1094 R (on the application of Prudential plc and another)
(Appellants) v Special Commissioner of Income Tax and another (Respondents) but it is now clear that we (unless we are members of the Legal profession) do not Legal advice privilege and any communication between us and clients is not covered by the privilege -

any comments?

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3136

I haven’t seen this particular decision but this issue has been booted around the courts a few times and has always seemed non controversial to me.  Lay advisers do not have rights of audience before the courts and are not officers of the court.  Hence, they are not enmeshed in the workings of the court to an extent whereby lack of privelige between them and their clients might compromise a person’s right to a fair trial in a way that that lack of privelige between solicitors and barristers and their clients might.

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

I have always understood that eg CAB advisers could be compelled to reveal information disclosed to them by a client by an order of the court, and be imprisoned for contempt of court if they fail to comply. And I first trained in CAB in 1978.

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

here’s a link to R (on the application of Prudential plc and another) (Appellants) v Special Commissioner of Income Tax and another (Respondents) -

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/decided-cases/docs/UKSC_2010_0215_Judgment.pdf