to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

useful UT decision on previous ESA85 not being before tribunal

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

Thanks very much to Anthony Lingard for sending us the attached decision by Judge Wright (CE/829/2012) holding that -

’... the appeal procedings leading to the tribunal’s decision breached the appellant’s right to a fair hearing of her appeal under article 6(1) of the Convention because the tribunal did not have before it the May 2010 ESA85 medical report, and that error vitiates the tribunal’s decision’ (para 9)

File Attachments

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 771

A very helpful decision.

The ESA appeal bundles I have seen do not contain the summary of adjudication history showing previous assessments which always used to be included in IB appeals on the PCA (so you could see there had been a previous examination and then ensure the papers were obtained).

Martin

Welfare Rights Adviser
forum member

Social inclusion unit - Swansea Council

Send message

Total Posts: 163

I agree, but more than this the ESA appeal submissions in these cases not only do not record the adjudication history but often state that it is the original decision that has been superseded when in fact it can’t be because other decisions have since replaced the decision they are now seeking to supersede. We have had a number of cases like this that on the face of it look like no decision has been made since the original. We have argued that in these cases the award should still stand until the most recent decision on which the award is based is superseded or revised.

Brian S
forum member

Lancashire County Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 16

Welfare Rights Adviser - 24 January 2013 03:38 PM

I agree, but more than this the ESA appeal submissions in these cases not only do not record the adjudication history but often state that it is the original decision that has been superseded when in fact it can’t be because other decisions have since replaced the decision they are now seeking to supersede. We have had a number of cases like this that on the face of it look like no decision has been made since the original. We have argued that in these cases the award should still stand until the most recent decision on which the award is based is superseded or revised.

I just wondered if you had had any success at tribunal with this argument?