× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

MP’s cash card

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 82

MP’S CASH CARD

The MP’s Cash Card Bill has been introduced to parliament.

Introducing the Bill, which is a Private Member’s Bill, in the House of Commons , Alex Shelbrooke MP said -

‘The principle of the Bill is to encourage responsible spending by members of parliament, ensuring that taxpayers’ money is spent wisely and for the purpose it is intended. It will alter the spending habits of a minority who for far too long have taken advantage of the system, getting something for nothing. Consequently, I believe that it will change the perception of MP’s in this country for the better. Politicians, the media and those from varied walks of life have been complicit in tarring as idle all members of this house. In fact, however, the time someone finds themselves in Parliament is the time strivers and low-paid workers most need a supportive society where they are given the respect most deserve in trying to make work pay…

The Bill seeks to work alongside the government’s welfare reforms to support those hard-working families who strive to be self-supporting by ending the ‘something for nothing’ stigma of the political system. The introduction of a MP’s cash card on which money would be paid would enable members to make only priority purchases such as food, clothing, energy, travel and housing. The purchase of luxury goods such as second homes, first class fares, bird houses, cigarettes, alcohol, Sky television and gambling would be prohibited. When hard-working families up and down the country are forced to cut back on such non-essential, desirable and often damaging items—NEDD items, as I call them—it is right that taxpayer-funded benefits should be used to fund only essential purchases.’

NB - as Mr Shelbrooke was successful in introducing the Bill, it is taken to have had its first reading. It is expected to have its second reading on 25 January 2013.

(note- in the original of this new item the words welfare claimants were generally used where I have put MP’s.  I’m sure that this was a mistake, so I have corrected it.)

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

How dare you!!  I’ll have you know that we selfless guardians of the public morals here in Parliament deserve every privilege we can manage to squeeze out of a broken system which falls over itself to thwart every attempt we make to get what’s rightfully ours.  Why, only the other day I was telling my scullery maid how little the great unwashed appreciate all our hard work and self sacrifice. The ungodly hours we put in, the almost endless pressing of the flesh and baby kissing isn’t pleasant by any stretch of the imagination.  The countless beanos, banquets and jaunts to exotic places puts an enormous strain on our time and plays havoc with our family lives.  And what thanks do we get.  None.  Simply snide remarks and uneducated comment from an ungrateful populace who time and time again just take us for granted.  Comments such as these are deeply hurtful and I for one will not stand idly by and see them go unanswered.  You shall be hearing from my solicitor.

ruthch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights officer Tameside Welfare Rights Service Greater Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 59

This festive quote springs to mind. Any suggestions for changing the names?

“At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge,” said the gentleman, taking up a pen, “it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time.  Many thousands are in want of common necessaries: hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir”.

“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.

“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge.  “Are they still in operation?”

“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “ I wish I could say they were not”.

“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.

“Both very busy, sir.”

“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. I’m very glad to hear it”.

“Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,” returned the gentleman, “a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?”

“Nothing!” Scrooge replied.

“You wish to be anonymous?”

“I wish to be left alone,” said Scrooge. “Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned – they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.”

“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides – excuse me – I don’t know that.”

A Christmas Carol. (1843)          Charles Dickens