Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DISABLED LIVING ALLOWANCE AND ALCOHOLISM.

bridgetp
forum member

age concern welfare rights service Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan

Send message

Total Posts: 4

What success have other advisers had with using the need for support to stay away from alcohol - under ‘So you need somebody to watch over you’?
I would argue that withought this regular daily support and distraction the client could start using alcohol again and put his cirrohis of the liver at risk of killing him.  The appeal is on wednesday 12th..so if you have anything to contribute please asap. thanks. benefits adviser, s. wales.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

I have had success with this argument on more than one occasion but usually where the claimant is not totally abstinent.  Each case will turn on its own facts.  Alcoholism can be complicated by other secondary problems such as alcoholic neuropathy giving rise to physical mobility problems.  I’ve had those kinds of cases.  More common, in my experience is where the client has no care needs when sober and has been told that if they continue drinking they will be dead in the short run or their health (usually the liver) will be damaged beyond repair.  And they are currently trying, with varying degrees of success, to stay sober.

Alcoholics are very sneaky and ingenious about finding ways to drink and lying to the people around them.  They hide bottles in unusual places, put shorts with a mixer in pop bottles, find money from God knows where; selling stuff is just one example.  In these kinds of cases I argue simply (or mainly) on supervision grounds, as they need someone to keep an eye on them to try to stop them taking a drink, as the risk of continuous drinking is a serious one.  Where the facts fit I’ve always got middle rate care/lower rate mobility.  I’ve always had a bit of a doubt about lr mob though as I’m not entirely sure how supervising a dry (or largely dry) alcoholic outdoors, with no other complicating factors, enables them to take advantage of the faculty of walking (with the emphasis on ‘the ability to get around’).  But I’m not complaining.

For a thorough discussion of a proper approach to alcohol cases in general see the attachment

File Attachments