Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Mobility component for a person aged 65 + ...

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Hello all !

Haven’t done one of these in a very long time.
Have a cl who was 65 in February 2012 and i can demonstrate his mobility problems began in July 2007.
He is not in receipt of AA and has never claimed DLA.
I have a DLA and AA form but which form should I complete to try and get cl high rate mobility as well as care ?

Any answers etc, thank you ...

Victor
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 88

I cannot see any way this is possible.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Normally a supersession request may have been do-able but not in this case.

I dont believe you can supersede a benefit decision when the benefit was not even in place originally!.

He should have claimed DLA at the time, and as he didnt he is up certain creeks with paddle issues.

The best you can hope for is that his medical condition that causes the mobility issue also
overlaps to mean he has also developed care needs as a result.
He may then have a case for AA, but from what i understand there is no way DLA can be considered in this case.

So : no mobility i’m afraid. If he does get AA, lives alone, nobody claims CA and gets PC (Guarantee element) then he can be considered for a Severe Disability Premium, which can be worth up to an extra £58.20 per week. Might be worth doing a benefit calculation if AA granted, as if he lives alone and cant get GPC then the SDP may be enough to passport him to it, with HB/CTB benefits available as a result.

[ Edited: 29 Nov 2012 at 01:37 pm by benefitsadviser ]
Oldestrocker
forum member

Principal - Forensic Accountants, Canterbury

Send message

Total Posts: 100

Michyblue - 29 November 2012 12:00 PM

Hello all !

Haven’t done one of these in a very long time.
Have a cl who was 65 in February 2012 and i can demonstrate his mobility problems began in July 2007.
He is not in receipt of AA and has never claimed DLA.
I have a DLA and AA form but which form should I complete to try and get cl high rate mobility as well as care ?

Any answers etc, thank you ...

I’m sorry but he should have at least put in a ‘protective’ claim prior to his 65th birthday. Having said that it doesn’t surprise me that there are many people out there that truly have no idea what they can claim, how they can claim it and what the rules are with claiming it.

Sorry, but the answer is - he has left it far too late.

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

That’s why I haven’t done one of these for a long time, it can’t be done !
Thanks for the replies, and misread pages 14 - 16 of DRH, cl must have been in receipt of some DLA before their 65th birthday to do this, DO’H !!
Have a good week all and an even better Xmas ...