Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Entitlement for a partner of an EEA national?

Allan Ramsay
forum member

Income maximisation - City of Edinburgh Council

Send message

Total Posts: 81

Hi,

My client is the spouse of an EEA national.  His residency document is classed as ‘Residence Card of a family Member of an EEA National’.

His relationship broke down in March 2012 and his partner left to stay with her sister.  They have now reconciled (approximately late October 2012).  He has been living off savings and loans from friends.

HB has been refused during the period of the break-up. This is on the grounds that he is ineligible as he has no right to reside as he is no longer the partner of an EEA national.

My opinion is that he does have right to reside as the spouse of an EEA worker from who he temporarily separated and did not divorce. 

He is the named tenant, Algerian and has been resident in the UK since 2008. His partner has been in continuous employment since the tenancy started 15.11.10.

If anyone has any experience with a case like this I would be grateful for feedback.

Thanks

Allan

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Just saw this.  You use the words spouse and partner.  Are they/were they married?

Allan Ramsay
forum member

Send message

Hi Nevip,

Yes, they are married.

Thanks

Allan

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Then

You are right.  I’ve done these kinds of cases for Income Support with consequential effect for HB.  Spouses of EEA nationals who are working or who have retained worker status have a right to reside until divorced.  You simply need to evidence her employment throughout the period and evidence their marital status.

Allan Ramsay
forum member

Send message

Brilliant,

Many thanks