Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

“Clinical information contained in the ESA report to support the DLA decision”

< 1 2

Richard Shields
forum member

Welfare Rights, Social Work Department, Dundee City Council, Dundee, Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 21

I have a case in which the ESA85 has been used to turn down the DLA claim with no other information and DLA have not requested any further information at any stage and the tribunal is scheduled for January. His GP has refused to do a report as the practice no longer does reports unless DLA themselves request it.

nightmare!

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

You may well need to ask the tribunal to request said evidence from GP.
I recall once advising the GP that I would be requesting the tribunal seek evidence from them and that the tribunal could ask them to attend and give evidence if needed - I got that evidence pretty damn quickly!!

DAIIJojo
forum member

Caseworker, Disibility Action in Islington

Send message

Total Posts: 24

I have had this scenario too and 25% of the tribunal hearings were postponed and 75% went ahead with the oral evidence from the claimant.  Statements from any family, friends, carers, OT etc are always useful if you have nothing…

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

My usual question: can the GP really add anything relevant to the issues in dispute about the client’s care and mobility needs? Unless s/he visits the cleint at home he may know nothing about it other than what his patient has told him, which is useless as evidence (it simply duplicates what the patient can say more forcefully, and adds no force to it at all).

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Which is why I have never seen the point in DCS requesting factual reports from client’s surgeries (other than as a confirmation of the diagnosis). GP’s almost inevitably indicate ‘no’ or ‘not known’ to the care/mob questions. All it does is to provide something for the DM to pin a refusal on.