Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Two Homes for PC age

Hughesp0
forum member

Housing Option Team, Flintshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Hi all,

I have a client who has been moved by vulnerable adults social worker to a more suitable local authority property, however prior to moving rather than applying for social fund grant to get the property to an appropriate standard the social worker sought help from a charity who agreed to provide whatever the client needs. This mean’t the client didn’t move into the new accommodation straight away and social worker applied for HB on two homes. Unfortunately HB for two homes was refused because it was a charity that the social worker was waiting on and NOT the social fund!

I have checked the regs and it does in deed refer to the social fund, what we need to know is there anyway round this? Do they literally mean social fund only?

If there is nothing we can do, what do people thing our odds are by trying to argue the delay was to adapt the property to a suitable standard due to clients vulnerability/disability. 

Thanks for any advice

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I don’t think there is any way around the SF grant issue. It might be worth arguing property was being adapted (though there will need to have been some sort of change to the fabric/structure for the LA to pay on this basis).

Failing that, a DHP request may be worth a try.