to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

IIDB silly question

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Forgive me if i am asking the obvious here (as this subject isnt my forte’) but i have a client who receives £63.00 per week industrial injuries benefit and i have a query about this.

I know that IIDB isnt means tested in itself (but obviously impacts on other MT benefits) however if he starts work will it put his IIDB in jeopardy?
I know that you can continue to work and receive IIDB however my client has been told that if he earns over a certain amount his IIDB will be permanently removed? I cant find anything to support this?

As i said earlier this isnt my particular area of expertise so any help will be appreciated.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

Is your client actually receiving Reduced Earnings Allowance for an accident or disease which occurred before 1 Oct 1990, rather than industrial injuries disablement benefit?  The amount of REA in payment is the amount by which the client’s current earnings (or those from a job he is deemed to be able to do) are less than the earnings he would have received in his former occupation.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

The client has just told me receives maximum REA of £63.24 and has done so for “At least over 20 years” (unquote)
He is being migrated from long term IB to ESA, and i am struggling to even get him 15 points, never mind the Support group!
I can see that 12 months down the line (assuming he gets in WRAG) that his ESA will stop completely as he has over 100K in savings.
His only income will be tarriff income and REA.
He wants to look at working but doesnt know how income will affect his REA as if it stops he wont get it back?
He used to earn £500+ per week offshore in the late 80s, early 90s.

Any ideas??

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

It looks as though your client has REA until they reach 65. He would have been sent an IP 111 form when he was notified of this. The form lists changes of circumstance which he needs to inform them of, one of which is that he has stated working.
It’s my understanding that if he is not working at his old employment and/or not achieving his previous earning potential then his REA remains.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks to you both for your speedy replies. I thought so, but just wanted to clarify. It is Monday Morning after all!