to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA while caring

mark
forum member

benefit/debt advisor, double impact, nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 7

I have a client who is currently on I/S and carers premium (£129.45),  as she is caring for her teenage son. He is autistic. Her health has always been fragile, but due to the stress of caring for her son she has begun to abuse medication and is suffering with anxiety and depression,
I suggested that she could claim ESA due to ill health and as a result would be entitled, on success of the WCA be placed in the work related activity group, so increasing her personal income to , ESA + WRAC, and carers premium (£157.00)

However the client then had a conversation with the local JCP, who told her she would be worse off. Am I missing a trick here?

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 487

Wouldn’t a dla claim be better for her even low care or mob which would get the disability premium on her IS of £30.35 be better than WRAC and also not get sanctioned if unable to do work related activity?

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

What is the breakdown of her income support? I don’t readily recognise how it comes to be £129.45

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

sovietleader - 23 October 2012 10:30 AM

What is the breakdown of her income support? I don’t readily recognise how it comes to be £129.45

I can see how it does, but it shouldn’t.  £71 IS + £58.45 CA = £129.45, but that’s not awarding the Carer Premium, or deducting the CA as income.

mark
forum member

benefit/debt advisor, double impact, nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 7

sorry a case lest haste more speed, i got my calculations all to cock, and used the CA rate instead of Carers Premium, client currently gets

IS (+Care perm) £45.15
and carers allowance , £58.45,
total £103.60

on ESA i had worked out she could get

carers allowance £58.45
carers prem £32.60
ESA assesment phase £12.55
WRAG £28.15
total £131.75