Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

SIZE RESTRICTIONS - PRIVATE RENTED SECTOR - URGENT PLEASE

Ray Guselli
forum member

Barrow in Furness Borough Council - Councillor

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Hi

Some help please for me in my role as a Councillor in understanding something.

I refer to the recent restrictions re size criteria whereby the number of bedrooms for example determines the level of benefit payable or the deduction to be made whereby the property is too large.

I understand that it is applicable to people of working age.

Please can someone confirm if within the private sector, the qualification re age does not apply and for example, a single lady (or couple) age 75 will also have benefit restricted if they have more than one bedroom and do not need disability care etc.

Many thanks ..

Ann urgent reply would be appreciated as I made this point on radio today and a reporter queried it…hope I am not wrong.

Thanks

Ray

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Not restricted in the same way as social tenants of working age.

For private tenants there is a maximum level of eligible rent which can be supported.  It’s based upon a Local Housing Allowance for different size properties, from shared rooms to 4 bedrooms, and you can see those for each area at LHA direct http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_196239 .

Then the number of bedrooms appropriate for the family size determines which maximum amount applies - that’s also calculable at LHA direct.

The appropriate size is matched with the LHA amount in the area for that size property and that gives the maximum HB amount.

This applies to all ages.

Ray Guselli
forum member

Barrow in Furness Borough Council - Councillor

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Thanks Gareth,

Much appreciated….

It seems that those above working age, in private sector, in receipt of LHA are restricted to the size of accommodation etc….which was the point I was trying to make.

Very kind of you to respond so quickly my thanks to you for doing so.

Best wishes

Ray

ps as a Conservative Cllr I am desperately worried and concerned about the effect the welfare reform is having/going to have on such a wide range of people.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

You’re welcome.

Have you seen my new paper on the effects of welfare reform?  You can get it from http://blog.cix.co.uk/gmorgan .

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

Gareth’s paper is well worth a read Ray. It’s very good.