to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Paralympians speak out over DLA cuts

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

The Guardian reports that a number of paralympians have spoken out over their fears on government plans to reduce spend on DLA by 20%, when it is replaced by the Personal Independence Payment from 2013. They report that Lady Tanni Grey-Thompson, who won 11 Paralympic gold medals, warned in May that the DLA cuts could affect the development of top athletes and prevent working-age disabled adults from engaging not just in sport but in society as a whole.

Ade Adepitan, the Paralympic wheelchair medallist who is a Channel 4 presenter for the Games, said: “Without DLA I would not have been able to do what I did or be a top athlete.”

And Natasha Baker, equestrian, says: “Disability living allowance enables disabled people another life. If they have DLA they might be able to afford the petrol to go to work ... it allows us to be independent. I love my independence. I hate relying on other people to do everything for me. I drive and probably would not be able to afford the petrol if I didn’t have the DLA. I have a Motability car. I have support from lottery fund but definitely, getting around would be a hell of a lot harder without DLA.”

For the full story and more quotes from the athletes themselves, see Paralympians express fears over disability living allowance plans