to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Temporary absence

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 82

I’m sure that I ought to know the answer to this one, but I don’t, so I’m looking for advice.

The is issue is about a couple with a joint tenancy.  The man has claimed HB.  The area is one where there is no work and neither of them are currently working.  The woman has an offer of a one year contract in another country.  She will keep most of her stuff in the joint home but is unlikely to be able to return during that time.

Does this count as temporary absence so that their resources and requirements continue to be added together?  If so is there any allowance for her temporary housing costs?  I can’t see how there can be, but this seems most unfair.

Domino
forum member

Advice Support Project, Lasa

Send message

Total Posts: 121

For HB purposes they count as a couple, even though partner is temporarily living away, unless they have no intention of resuming living together; or they are likely to be separated for more than 52 weeks (though they may still be treated as a couple providing it is not substantially longer and there are exceptional circumstances - e.g. a stay in hospital or the person has no control over the length of absence)

Thus treated as a couple re applicable amount and resources.