to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Tricks of the dole cheats

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

After the enjoyment of last week’s programming on ATOS/ESA/WCA etc, it looks like we’re back to a more familiar narrative with Dispatches this evening.

Reporter Morland Sanders investigates Jobcentre Plus, the organisation tasked with getting Britain back to work and cracking down on dole cheats. With the help of jobseekers, undercover filming and a former insider, the programme reveals the shirkers’ tricks that make it easy to cheat the system.

For more, see here Tricks of the Dole Cheats

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

This sort of thing really tees me off (wanted to use stronger words but there you go)
My definition of a dole cheat is someone who signs on, gets rent and CT paid and also has a fiddle job earning 300 quid a week on the side. NOT someone who is creative in filling in their Jobseekers diary.
When there are few decent jobs available then what choice do some folk have?
The amount of arbitrary sanctions we are seeing are massively on the increase and this sort of rubbish can’t help.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Well the title was a bit of a misnomer wasn’t it?  Who wants to go first?

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Unfortunately, didn’t see it and it doesn’t appear to be available on 4OD at the moment.

However, I did just find a 5-minute clip when a senior Jobcentre Plus director, Ruth Owen (salary £120,000-124,999 in 2010) was unable to find evidence that 127 JCP vacancies were actually advertised on JCP websites. It looked rather embarrassing, to say the least.

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 771

The two graduate jobseekers who agreed to assist channel 4 in revealing how easy it is to sign on….. 

Thanks for your solidarity boys.

I wonder what would happen if a person less able to deal with bureaucracy etc. was to write their shopping list down as their jobsearch? Perhaps a claimant who didn’t feel they were somehow better than all the other claimants…

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

Media/English grads, were they?  Just wondering.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

A complete waste of half an hour which I will never get back.  Going into sign on in work overalls and saying you were painting at home.  What a wheeze.  Lost count of how many times I’ve seen that done for real when I was signing on in the early 1980’s.  It got the same response now as it got then.  What did they expect JC to do, call the law?

Most people who deal with JC know how useless it is.  The only saving grace, I suppose, was watching chief exec’ Ruth Owen squirm.  Even then she got off lightly.  It reminded me of Dennis Healey’s remarks on Geoffrey Howe: “like being savaged by a dead sheep”