Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Early reassessment process

Josephina
forum member

Community, Advice, Support and Education, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 38

Hello
I don’t know if there is another thread on this.

Some of my clients passed the WCA in the SG. We phoned the DWP and were told that they would be reassessed after a given time (some of them one year, one had 6 months) and that this reassessment time was in the ‘system’ (of the DWP’s BDC).

However, they all received the ESA50 up to three months before this date. Finding an ESA50 on the doorstep so long before the expected time was very upsetting for them.

Also, one of them received a letter from the DWP which was supposed to warn her in advance about the reassessment, and to give her the opportunity to gather medical evidence. Yet this letter arrived AFTER the ESA50, and a couple of days before the deadline given by Atos for the form. 

I think that Atos has an enormous backlog, and for this reason they prefer to make claimant fill in the dreadful form long before the due time - simply for their own convenience. There is no consideration for the consequent distress.

I am pretty sure there is no law that stops them doing this, but has anyone had similar cases, and is there anything we can do?