Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Exceptional circumstances to get into the support group

iut044
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser, West Lancs Disability Helpline, Skelmersdale

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Hi

I have a client who has recently been placed in the work-related activity group.  The jobcentre have told him that he will have to go on training courses.  He says that travelling to the training courses in a car will make his back worse.  He suffers from cervicalsponylosis/degeneration of vertebrate/spinal nerve involvement and inflammation of the right brachialgia. 

Do you think that this is is a viable argument to meet the criteria for exceptional circumstances on the basis that
work-related activity would be a significant threat to his health?

Im sorry if this question seems stupid, its just I am not that confident about this because I have never done an exceptional circumstances to get into the support group appeal before.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

To answer your first question:  maybe.

However, your client should take into consideration the fact that an appeal/request for revision throws open all aspects of entitlement.  They could end up with a new decision that they do not have limited capability for work.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I recommend that he gets sound medical evidence from his GP or consultant to back this up.
It will be difficult to win an appeal just by “assuming” that he will probably get worse during car journeys.
Its all about the evidence im afraid.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

..And if so, consider if the client will meet any of the SG descriptors if you haven’t already done so (I would have thought mobilizing would be a possibility) and ask the GP/consultant to comment on that too.

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Just to clarify - the exceptional circumsrances provisions apply to those who cannot score enough points to pass the LCFW test - as your client has already passed this you need to see if the SG descriptors apply as mentioned above, but you cannot run an exceptional circumstances argument.

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 487

exceptional circumstances can be used twice - we regularly use reg 35 to try to get people into the support group - often very successful for people with mental health and substance misuse problems

iut044
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser, West Lancs Disability Helpline, Skelmersdale

Send message

Total Posts: 206

Thanks for everybodys help. I have gone through the support group descriptors and my client does not meet any of them.  I have already warned my client of the risk of appealing.

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Sorry, I got thst wrong - Reg 35 does apply