× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Justice in the community: do we get it?

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

The JusticeGap website, together with Hackney Community Law Centre (HCLC), is hosting a debate at the House of Commons on the role of the advice sector in communities in the context of forthcoming legal aid cuts.

The debate will be chaired by Jon Robins, HCLC Patron and editor of the The Justice Gap

The panelists include:

* Diane Abbott, HCLC Patron and MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, and shadow health minister
* Lord Willy Bach, the former justice secretary who led the opposition to LASPO in the Lords
* Sir Geoffrey Bindman, human rights solicitor and founder of Bindmans LLP
* Matthew Ryder QC, Matrix Chambers
* Roger Smith, Director of Justice

In the context of the LASPO cuts, the meeting will explore issues such as:

* What do we mean by ‘access to justice’?
* Is the law for the rich?
* What future is there for the legal advice sector and their largely poor and vulnerable clients?
* Are local communities like Hackney getting the justice they deserve?

It all takes place on Thursday July 12th 2012 at 6.30pm in Committee Room 15 in the main Palace of Westminster.

For more information, including details of how to book your ticket, see Justice in the community: do we get it?

HK
forum member

Welfare Benefits, Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Will a video recording of the discussion be made available on the Parliament website? It would be of interest to those of us who won’t be able to get to it, due to prior commitments or distance from London.

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

I’m not sure, I’ll try to find out more and let you know.

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

HK - 01 July 2012 10:45 PM

Will a video recording of the discussion be made available on the Parliament website? It would be of interest to those of us who won’t be able to get to it, due to prior commitments or distance from London.

Have had a reply that says that they are hoping to produce a written transcript this time around (although their may be an amateur recording device present as well). As this is the first event of its kind, they want to see what the turn-out and interest is like first.

I hope to attend and happy to share my thoughts afterwards too.

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Hackney Community Law Centre has produced a write-up of this event now.

Click here for the summary “The LASPO Act is contrary to who we are as a people” – HCLC & Justice Gap Westminster Debate