Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

One off payment from employer ...

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Hello all ...
If a person receives a one off payment from their employer should this be treated as income or capital for HB / CTB calculation purposes ?
CPAG pages 903 - 907 not too clear ...
LA has quoted regulations HB41 section (3) and stated the payment is income but I’m having my doubts because I can’t find this regulation anywhere ??

Any thoughts happily and greatfully accepted ...

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Reg 41(3) is in the following terms:

“Any earnings to the extent that they are not a payment of income shall be
treated as income.”

So the question is, was it a payment of earnings or had the character of earnings?  Or was it some other payment?

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

You need more info from the client (and/or their employer) as to what the payment is relating to.  Without that it’s hard to say, but the likelihood is it will be treated as income for the period it relates to.

GAD
forum member

Lancs County Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Is this an equal pay settlement payment?

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Thank you for you replies ...

The payment was a one off because the employer could not afford to give the cl a pay rise for this financial year.

I’m assuming this means it should be treated as income ?

Thanks again ...

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

@Gad - I thought Equal Pay settlement too.

As it’s in lieu of a pay rise, it should be treated as earnings for the period it’s for, i.e. the whole of this financial year & the authority should include it as a single annual figure for e.g. April 2012-Mar 2013.  You may well find you need to be very explicit with the LA to get them to do this, it’s not a common situation, so they’re more likely to mess it up.  It’s only really the same as an annual bonus/profit share, but paid in advance rather than arrears.

There could be an interesting scenario if the client finished work during the financial year, as they’ve already received a payment for the whole financial year, which would still fall to be taken into account as income, with disregards etc.  Let’s hope they stay put.