to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

HB and students.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

I have little experience with HB regs or students so I am wondering if you can answer a quick question.

A client of mine currently is part of an ESA claim for her disabled husband.

They claim CA + ESA (contribution based, support group) + IR esa top up . As IRESA in place then full HB/CTB in place.

She is looking to go to uni to study full time as a nurse. I know this should not affect his CBESA although CA and carers premiums will be removed from calculation of HB and IRESA.

Her student loan will be added to his CBESA award to calculate HB amount as loan will be classed as income.

Is the applicable amount for HB still based on a couples amount or will it be reduced to a single persons allowance?
Their current allowance = £199.40 (111.45 couple rate, 34.05 support component,21.30 enhanced dis premium plus 32.60 carers premium)

I suspect that if she is removed from HB calc (as a student) their allowance for HB will be £126.35 (£71+34.05+21.30)

Is this right or am i doing my party trick of barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

in short, it’s still the same applicable amount with all the same premiums

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

As a full time student she will not be allowed to claim Carers allowance, so no carers premium i’m afraid.
If thats the only change and the couple rate applies then fine, however I thought she would be removed from the couples applicable personal allowance for HB as students apparently arent considered for HB.
Looks like i misinterpreted that one.

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

sorry, missed the carers bit, not paying attention!

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

I am sure you have explored this but it is worth the client seeing what grants and bursary’s she may qualify for and if so which will count as income for the purpose of benefit entitlement.