to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Benefit cap for statutory homeless?

Pheebs
forum member

WRU, Neath Port Talbot

Send message

Total Posts: 3

I work for a Housing Options service and the interim accommodation that we use to temporarily house clients who are statutory homeless often costs in excess of £250 per week. This has never caused a problem because of the HB subsidy. However when the benefit cap is introduced we will struggle to temporarily accommodate these clients as they will be expected to pay the difference themselves which the majority will not be able to do resulting in them being evicted from interim accommodation for rent arrears.

I believe that clients on DLA will be exempt from the cap but what about clients who are statutory homeless? Does anyone know of any exemption for that scenario?

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

My understanding is that families subject to either a 188 or 193 decision are not exempt, unless they meet the other criteria. eg WTC, DLA,AA, CAA, War Widows etc.

Your tenants can only be expected to top-up a reasonable sum.

So I guess you are going to see how far 26K can stretch.

I would suggest that where your tenant has been evicted from high cost accommodation lets say £230.00 per week in the private sector, you might have a “suitability” problem, if you accept the 193 Duty and ..... then offer 193 accommodation at the same level…...