to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Support group requests : Time expiring!

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

As most of you are probably aware people on CBESA only have 12 months before it becomes means tested if they are in the Work related activity group. I have a client who called in to show me a letter stating his ESA runs out 30th April, as his partner is working. As she only gets paid £750 PM then this will leave them struggling.
the client receives HRM DLA and cannot mobilise 50 metres (Even in a wheelchair due to Carpal tunnel and arthritic wrists) so i have posted a letter requesting he be placed into the support group, which will make him exempt from his benefit stopping if granted.

We all know DMs can take forever due to paperwork backlogs etc, so my question is this : If Jobcentre Plus dont make the decision to place him in the support group by 30th April will his award end?
He will be unable to reclaim CBESA as he hasnt met the contribution conditions and IRESA will pay nowt due to his wifes income. Is it the end of the road or will his CBESA claim be left open until JC+ make a determination.