to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

urgent incap opyt advice

ncodp
forum member

Welfare Rights Advice, Disability Rights Norfolk

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Client has appeal next week against incap opyt, he made claim for incap in 2003 and his claim form shows he declared he was due to receive 2 occ pens in few weeks time.

When occ pens became payable he did not contact DWP to advise of dates of payments or amounts, his defence is he declared the info on his claim that these were due to be paid and DWP should have followed this info up if it was relevant to his claim.

Do you think he has any chance of success at appeal against the opyt based solely on the fact he made an initial disclosure upon which DWP failed to act, or should I be warning him the Tribunal are more likely to take the view he should disclose any change he is reasonably expected to know and it is then up to DWP to decide if it is relevant or not?

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

Hmmm…

Tricky.  Much could depend on the wording of the claim form, the wording of the info given by the claimant and the wording of any subsequent notification(s) - including the infamous INF4.

A couple of HB/CTB cases show how different views could be taken by the Tribunal.  In CH/0881/2005, the late Cmmr Fellner found it was an error on the part of the LA not to make enquiries about info given by the clmt on a claim form.  However, in CH/4043/2005, the then Cmmr Jupp decided it was not an error for the LA to determine a claim where a claim for JSA was known by the LA to be pending - the clmt failed to notify the subsequent award of JSA.  The latter sounds fairly similar to the case in question.

In short, there may be a case to argue for the claimant but I wouldn’t be surprised if the FtT decide the clmt was still obligated to notify the DWP once the pensions were actually awarded.

File Attachments

ncodp
forum member

Welfare Rights Advice, Disability Rights Norfolk

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Thanks for the advice, client denies receiving INF4s, remains to be seen if Tribunal think this is credible.

I am keeping my fingers crossed Tribunal will accept DWP had a duty to follow up on info known to them, but as you’ve suggested I think they are more likely to find client had an obligation to disclose.

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

I can confirm from first hand experience that INF4s are NOT always included with notifications.

clucker24
forum member

Tribunal/Casework - Craigavon District CAB, Armagh

Send message

Total Posts: 16

Did the client give the details of the occupational pension provider?

I have seen old forms say the following:

“When we get Your reply back, we will make sure you are getting the right amount of incapacity benefit…”

“…As we cannot make any payment of Incapacity Benefit until we have the information requested.”

In these circumstances if the client has given the pension providers details it may be arguable this was sufficient disclosure.

Also some of the subsequent notes stated:

“If you have not told us about any benefits, pensions or allowances you get, please tell us straight away.”

What are the instuctions the client has received on their form?

[ Edited: 12 Mar 2012 at 02:53 pm by clucker24 ]
AXM
forum member

Social Security Law Newcastle Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 9

It is very arguable that the there will be no recoverable overpayment for any period prior to 10th April 2006. This is because Regulation 7(2)(c)(iv) of The Social Security & Child Support (Decisions & Appeals) Regulations 1999 which authorised an effective retrospective supersession in cases such as these was only introduced on 10th April 2006   and , as such ,could not have retrospective effect for a period before 10th April 2006.

Prior to 10th April 2006 there was no provision under regulation 7 of The Social Security & Child Support (Decisions & Appeals ) Regulations 1999 for the supersession ( in this context) to take effect from a date other than that prescribed in section 10 (5) (the date that it was given ) of the Social Security Act 1998.

Please call me at the Law Centre on 0191 2304777 if you would like to discuss this further.