to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Severe COPD and supervision

sara lewis
forum member

Welfare rights service -Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 52

I have a client who has about 2-3 hospital admissions per year for his COPD, and has a bad flare up about once a month where with help from his wife he is able to control it himself without needing an ambulance.  Needless to say on the occasions he does need an ambulance he is too breathless to call for it himself.  Does anyone know of any caseaw that sepcifically relates to breathing conditions and supervision?

Thanks

Sara

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Are we talking DLA here? If so it can be argued that the client will require supervision “for a significant portion of the day, as well as throughout the night to keep him safe”
The fact he only requires hospitalisation a few times a year is irrelevant : He could have an attack at any time , and that should mean High Rate Care may apply due to constant supervision requirements.

sara lewis
forum member

Welfare rights service -Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 52

Yes DLA. I think he certainly has an arguable case for requiring continual supervision throughout the day and possibly night time too.  I was just hoping for some caselaw that specifically related to supervision for people with breathing conditions to back it up as the majority of decisions regarding supervision relate to falls and epilepsy.

Ariadne
forum member

Social policy coordinator, CAB, Basingstoke

Send message

Total Posts: 504

People with breathing difficulties often have particular problems at night. They need to sleep propped up on a lot of pillows, which of course can get disarranged, or even in a chair with a footstool. What does this client do?

miket
forum member

Welfare Advice Team, South Gloucestershire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Just curious, does your client have to be on a regular/constant O2 feed? As many of my previous clients with COPD have had various forms of o2 supply and their difficulties with things like keeping the supply constant, making sure the tubes dont get trapped or kinked etc.
Hope this helps.