to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Right to Reside and Pension Credit German national

nickyswllc
forum member

South West London Law Centres

Send message

Total Posts: 4

I have a client who recieves Carer’s allowance for her husband who gets AA.

they are German nationals but are retired and have never worked in UK. Came here in Nov 2011 to be nearer daughter and grandchildren.

Daughter is Dutch jobseeker and provides some financial support. She gets JSA and other benefits. Does not live with client. her ex partner and father of her children aged 5, 8 mths is dutch and works in Holland but never came to live/work in UK. Daughter also has never worked in UK.

Dependency could be established but cl has been refused Pension Credit on RTR grounds on five occasions. I don’t think there are any grounds for appeal which is out of time anyway but am I missing something regards her being a carer? she is getting HB but nothing else.

thanks for any help.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Just a thought- I suppose they won’t qualify for any German benefits being as they are of retirement age? May be worth checking out if they haven’t already.

nickyswllc
forum member

South West London Law Centres

Send message

Total Posts: 4

many thanks. Yes, I think they were lucky with the HB. Daughter is hoping to get employment so that would solve the problem in future. As for German pensions etc well they were getting the equivalent to pension credit when living there but have never worked there so doubt there’s anything else they can claim if not actually resident.

will update if any further developments.