Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Communal rooms in shared housing

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 82

COMMUNAL ROOMS

Housing benefit regulations have always said that the cost of cleaning and fuel for lighting and heating in communal rooms is NOT eligible for benefit except in sheltered housing.

Advisors have always maintained that all supported housing can be treated as sheltered housing and that the costs should be eligible.  Nearly all housing benefit offices have agreed and, in most cases, these costs have been treated as eligible since 1989.

It takes a while for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to catch up and it was not till a year or so ago that they issued advice to councils telling them that supported housing was not sheltered housing and that they should not pay for these services, but only for fuel and cleaning in communal corridors, stairs etc.

Some councils took this up and stopped paying.  This led to appeals, one of which reached the upper tribunal as case CH/322/2011.  The judge decided that supported housing WAS sheltered housing so the communal room costs were eligible.

Oxford City Council and the DWP have appealed this decision to the Court of Appeal and the case was due to be heard this month. The DWP seem to think that they are going to lose the appeal because on 25th of January they issued general information bulletin G1 2012 in which they announced their intention to introduce new regulations which would make cleaning and fuel in common rooms ineligible in any accommodation where residents just had one room and shared the common facilities.

The DWP’s argument seems to be that in sheltered housing there are common rooms that are wholly outside the dwelling, but in shared housing the common rooms are just replacements for the rooms that most claimants would have within their home.

The DWP seems to think that the issue is confined to a few cases where claims were made following the upper tribunal decision and they have asked for information about any claims that are affected.
It is important that you tell them. 

They have set a deadline of Wednesday 8 February 2012 which is very short.  Send your responses to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) 

Please pass this information on to as many people as possible so that they can respond too.

You might want to say:
•  How many claims are affected;
•  How long councils have been paying for communal fuel and cleaning (for example, “since 1989”, “for as long as I can remember”)
•  Why it would be a bad idea to make this change.  You might highlight the extra costs of cleaning because of the need to pay for a cleaner, the lack of control residents have over costs, the hardship caused to tenants if they had to meet these costs out of their personal money, the difficulty of collecting these charges from residents etc.

Note that fuel for residents to cook their own meals is always ineligible, wherever it is provided, and that if the DWP wins its appeal the cost of fuel and cleaning in communal rooms will become ineligible immediately, without any need for legislation.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Chris,  where did you find the bulletin?  I can’t see it on the DWP site.

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

chris smith - 26 January 2012 01:10 PM

Some councils took this up and stopped paying.  This led to appeals, one of which reached the upper tribunal as case CH/322/2011.  The judge decided that supported housing WAS sheltered housing so the communal room costs were eligible.

•  How long councils have been paying for communal fuel and cleaning (for example, “since 1989”, “for as long as I can remember”)

Some LAs have been paying such charges because they haven’t realised or understood the difference in treatment between sheltered accommodation and non-sheltered accom - irrespective of whether exempt accommodation cases.  If I had been paid a fiver for the number of raised eyebrows this point / clarification caused during exempt accom training courses I used to present, I’d have had a very nice luxury holiday…

Declaration of interest:  I assisted Oxford at the FtT stage (second set of hearings) in some of the cases which will be affected by the CA’s judgement relating to CH/0322/2011.  As I recall, there was evidence both for and against but, on balance, I agreed with Oxford that the cases were not “sheltered accommodation” - obviously we will know soon enough whether the CA agrees.  I have had no dealings with the cases since the FtTs so don’t know what arguments have been employed by either of the parties (I have long since learnt to NOT rely entirely on UTDs as being a comprehensive record of all arguments raised).

As an aside, I don’t have any particularly strong feelilngs about this specific issue but I do think the legislation needs clarifying and for that reason alone I welcome the DWP’s interest.  It’s just a shame it couldn’t have taken this interest years ago and negated the need for extremely expensive and probably stressful legal proceedings that have been rumbling on for years - CH/0322/2011 was simply the latest instalment.

SElahi
forum member

Private Sector Housing, Blackburn with Darwen BC

Send message

Total Posts: 41

Gareth here is G 1/2012

I am looking forward to the definition as I carried out a review of “sheltered housing” last year in a local authority and came across a number of variations on a theme.  In particular, there are schemes where the tenant has use of only a bedsit room and share bathroom with one or more other resident or there is exclusive use of the bathroom but it is off the main corridor and therefore not “self-contained”.

Shabir

File Attachments

J Membery
forum member

Revenues and Benefits Manager, Aylesbury Vale DC

Send message

Total Posts: 134

I suspect the definition will turn out to be rather different than that is common use when the HB Regs were origionally drafted.

§ Lord Swinfen
asked Her Majesty’s Government: - What constitutes “Sheltered Housing”.

The Minister of State, Department of the Environment (Lord Bellwin) -
The term is most commonly taken to mean housing specially designed for occupation by old people and having some common facilities, which usually include warden supervision. However, there is no statutory definition of “Sheltered Housing”. The term came into familiar use in connection with the Department of the Environment’s former standards for the design of housing for old people, which were based on the Parker Morris standards for local authority housebuilding.

These standards are no longer in operation, and local authorities are free to decide what standards (and costs) give best value for money, subject only to the department’s power to intervene in cases of extravagance.

In the case of housing association provision through the Housing Corporation, the corporation’s new design and cost criteria use the term “Sheltered Housing” to describe any schemes specially designed for old people.
HL Deb 22 March 1983 vol