to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

HRM and supersession query.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Hi folks - just querying if any of you fine people can help me with a query.
I have just had a client in who is 79 years of age who has been in receipt of LRC DLA for about 17 years now and as she is now suffering from falls (both indoors and outdoors) on a pretty much daily basis she wanted to see if she would qualify for MRC.
After discussing her case i felt we had nothing to lose as it was doubtful that she would lose LRC under the circumstances as i know the DBC look at the claim from scratch. Near the end of completing the s/session she asked me if it would affect her Mobility car! (she had no idea the LRC and mobility were linked in any way, which was why she never mentioned it earlier).
I have asked the DBC NOT to reconsider her mobility needs and just look at her care needs. I have put this on the DBD420 form and i also will write her a supporting letter regarding her care needs, and also requesting her HRM to be unaffected. My question is this : can the DBC remove her HRM when we have explicitly asked only to look at her care needs. She is pretty much housebound without it and Attendance Allowance has no mobility element.
Thanks

dbcwru
forum member

Darlington Welfare Rights, Darlington Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 114

If she still fulfills the criteria for HRM and her GP is aware of her mobility problems it shouldnt be an issue. What I normally do with potential supersession cases now is write to the GP with an open DLA criteria letter and ask for 6months to a years clinic notes to see if there is medical evidence to back up the existing award and the supersession. If the medical evidence is supportive you can then include it with the supersession form. If the medical evidence isnt supportive delay for 3-6 months to allow the client time to approach the GP and have nay necessary medical investigations , treatment and then start again.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I suspect you’re fairly safe in requesting supersession. Yes, the whole award is potentially thrown into the hazard but in view of her age and symptpms I very much doubt there is any significant risk. My experience is where the client is of AA age supersessions usually go through without any difficulty and quickly. Just make sure your client is aware of the potential risks and is prepared to go ahead.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

As she is 79 years of age i am hoping a bit of ye old common sense may prevail here.