to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

HB, HRT, A8 national

Leigh Andrews
forum member

Local Team Manager, Providence Row, London

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Hi All, my client is an A8 national present in UK since 2007. He worked for a short while (few months) in construction and spent some time in prison (few months). Upon release he had no accommodation and started rough sleeping for the first time in approx 2009 before finding a hostel bed. At that time he claimed JSA and HB and was refused and subsequently evicted. From then until now he has has spent some time in short term insecure accommodation and significant time sleeping on the streets in the local borough. He receives services from my organisation, the local mental health team (diagnosed condition), the local probation office and a local alcohol team. He successfully claimed DLA in Jan 2011 and JSA in June 2011. We have helped this client find hostel accommodation which is supported, in the local area and the client is motivated to maintain. My question is will this client be eligible for HB. I think he can show that he is habitually resident and is on an income based and therefore a passporting benefit but will his A8 status mean he is refused. If you can give me any reference to appropriate guidance I will be grateful.

Tracey D
forum member

Welfare benefits advisor - Peterborough City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 127

If income-based JSA is in payment he should not have any problems getting HB - it is a passported benefit.

hkrishna
forum member

Welfare rights worker - CPAG in Scotland, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 257

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/a10-2011.pdf

The above is the HB/CTB guidance issued by the DWP after the end of the A8 restrictions.  As has already been said, if he is on ibJSA then he’s already passed the HRT and so will be passported to HB.

Leigh Andrews
forum member

Local Team Manager, Providence Row, London

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Many thanks both, just what I was after!