to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Right of Residence (ESA/JSA)

David Feast
forum member

Mungos Broadway, London

Send message

Total Posts: 7

I have a client with mental health problems who failed the ESA ‘right of residence’ test, despite living in the UK for 17 years, having moved here from Greece.  The situation is that he has never worked and has claimed Income Support or JSA since he arrived in the UK in 1994.  In early 2010, he failed to attend a medical assessment, so his Income Support stopped.  Approximately, 3-4 months later he made a new claim for ESA and failed the WCA and was refused based on the ‘right of residence’ rules (as he was not a jobseeker/student/worker etc.).  We appealed the decision and will be attending the tribunal hearing in January. 

As he had failed the ‘right of residence’ test, he was not paid the basic rate of ESA while appealing, so he was forced to claim JSA in March 2011.  In addition to this, he has accrued several thousand pounds of rent and council tax arrears and is facing a court hearing to evict him from his home in January as well. This is because Housing/Council Tax Benefit followed the DWP decision and did not award him benefit on the ‘right of residence’ rule until he claimed JSA. Although the client has mental health problems, he has coped reasonably well with his jobseeking activities since claiming JSA and as his housing and council tax benefit is also being paid, this has also eased the pressure. 

As it is borderline whether he would pass the WCA on appeal anyway and even if he did, would probably still not pass the ‘right of residence’ test, I am considering submitting that he should have been treated as a jobseeker at the time of his ESA claim, as he failed the WCA (and therefore meets the JSA ‘right of residence’ test under the JSA Regs.). 

This would mean changing my argument from that made on the appeal (that he had an unlimited capability for work).  However, having sought advice from various sources, I don’t think I can overturn the ESA ‘right of residence’ decision, so feel that asking them to allow JSA from the time of the ESA claim is the only option.  But if so, would the fact that he did not make a claim for JSA be used against him or would he be treated as a ‘jobseeker’ anyway, due to failing the ESA assessment?

The main problem for the client is the eviction situation and it is very likely that his mental health will deteriorate significantly if he is evicted.  However, if we can argue that JSA should have been paid when he claimed ESA, I think the HB/CTB payment will follow and his rent/council tax arrears will be reduced if not fully covered.

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Dave

Altered Chaos
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

Hi
I am responding only to the issue regarding the LA following the DWP decision on right to reside.  Should they LA have done this? or should they have made their own findings/decision?

I think the LA should only follow a DWP decision if it is to do with a determination of income, earnings, capital.
See: R-v-South Ribble DC exp. Hamilton - and attachments.
Chaos

File Attachments

Domino
forum member

Advice Support Project, Lasa

Send message

Total Posts: 121

Hi

I notice there was a 3 to 4 month gap between Income Support stopping and him claiming ESA.  Was he claiming JSA at that time? Did his HB claim continue in payment during these 3 to 4 months?  Did all his benefits cease during this time?

If he was receiving a relevant benefit since April 2004, he would have been transitionally protected from having to satisfy the right to reside test, if he continued to receive that benefit without a break.  A relevant benefit is income support, income-based JSA, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit.  (Reg 6, Social Security (Habitual Residence) Amendment Regulations 2004). So if, for example he was receiving housing benefit continuously throughout, then he should have retained his transitional protection at the time of the decision/s.  Also it is possible to move from one relevant benefit to another (e.g. income support to income-based JSA to Housing Benefit) and retain transitional protection, providing a day has not elapsed when he was not receiving one or other of them.  There is an example of how this works in CPAG handbook page 1425. 

If transitional protection applies, then I think this would be easier to base the appeal on, rather than retrospectively trying to argue that he was a jobseeker.  Although the Court of Appeal decision re: CIS/184/2008, has made it possible to be a workseeker without claiming JSA, would he be able to show that he was seeking work?  Someone else out there may be able to answer the jobseeker issue more definitively.

Damian
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Salford Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 211

Was he on HB/CTB since before April 2004 until the recent decision? If so he may have transitional protection from the r2r rules for HB &CTB;. This wouldn’t help with ESA though as it is not covered by transitional protection.

David Feast
forum member

Mungos Broadway, London

Send message

Total Posts: 7

Thanks for your responses.  There was a complete break in my client’s claim(s) for the 3-4 months when he was not receiving JSA, Housing and Council Tax Benefit as he was so unwell at that time, that he locked himself away and nobody was able to engage with him.  This all came about simply because he was too unwell to attend his medical assessment.  I have already spoken to CPAG at length about this and we don’t think there is any mileage with the ‘transitional’ route.  They also looked into whether HB should have stopped (and whether the LA should have based their decision on the ESA right of residence rule) and we could not find anything there either.  Dave