to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

SDP and ‘severely sight impaired’

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

Just been checking the DM Guide - Volume 4, para 23205 (2) and have noticed that the guidance does not reflect the new visual impairment classifications -  ‘severely sight impaired’ (instead of reg. blind).  Anyone know if the regs were amended, as the guidance is out of date if they were. Have checked the amendment update for Volume 4, but nothing found.

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

Thanks Alban.

In the case I’m dealing with the couple are covered by the usual SDP route, but client was told by a BDC telephone operative that ‘severly sight impaired’ (as opposed to reg. blind’) wouldn’t cut it for the SDP. Was doing my usual thing of sending copy of the relevant DM guidance pages to BDC, but was surprised to see the changed VI categories had not been amended in the guidance, or regs. Left me thinking that other people might be getting duff advice from BDCs. Would probably only affect couples where non-VI person was on qualifying level of DLA care, but partner was VI and relevant DLA care level.

Do you know if RNIB have sought clarification from DWP?

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

Many thanks Alban.  Might save a few SDPs!

Stevegale
forum member

Send message

That’s good news Alban! After the week I’ve just had trying to convince a BDC that there is such a thing as the higher SDP, I’m grateful for some good news!!!