to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Council Tax Benefit stopped when partner moved in

suelees
forum member

Social Welfare dept, Stephensons Solicitors, Leigh

Send message

Total Posts: 84

Council tax benefit eventually awarded after extremely lengthy delays in reviewing an adverse decision.

Whilst review ongoing the claimant began cohabiting (Jan 2011) which was disclosed to LA soon after.

In May 2011 he was notified that benefit awarded up until Jan 2011 (when he started cohabiting).  At the time we assumed they were still looking at entitlement from when she moved in (how wrong we were).  So basically the LA has not even reassessed the claim based on the change of circs.

I asked for full details and reasons for this and they simply say they didn’t award beyond 17.1.11 as they had no new claim form and no details of wife’s income (yet they agree they didn’t request this info).  Client hadn’t thought to provide ‘new’ income details as there weren’t any (partner had no income).

I know we’re out of time but it’s been an exceptionally complicated case with all sorts of issues so I believe the late appeal will be accepted.

I’ve already lodged a very basic late appeal request and said I would expand asap. I’ve also told him to make a new claim and ask for it to be considered as a late claim from Jan 2011.

It seems quite straightforward but the longer I think about it the more I’ve started to doubt myself, thinking I’ve missed something blindingly obvious so I’d be grateful for any guidance please.

Thanks
Sue

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

So, did the LA write to the claimant to request more information about the partner?

Or did the LA write with a formal decision to end the claim for CTB?

failure to to either of these would be an official error, which can be revised ay any time.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 616

There is a further official error (an error of law) when the Council made an initial award until Jan 11 and then inisted on a new claim before the award could continue.

Acquiring a partner is of itself is not grounds for a superseding decision terminating an award [R(IS)13/05]

Since 2004 all awards must be made for an indefinite period unless there are grounds for a superseding decision ending that award (This was confirmed in CH/3736/2006 and CH/1664/2009)

The Council ought to have suspended the award from January 2011 making sure that all notices complied with Reg 13(3) of the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Decisions and Appeals) Regulations 2001.  The LA would have the power to terminate only if the claimant then failed to comply with an information requirement as set out in the notice of suspension.

Given that no information was asked for, the LA had no power to terminate the award as of Jan 11

[ Edited: 15 Nov 2011 at 01:12 pm by Stainsby ]

File Attachments

suelees
forum member

Send message

yeeees!

Sorry for not replying sooner but I hadn’t ticked the box to be notified of replies

suelees
forum member

Send message

Thank you very much.