to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Withdrawing an Appeal

Mick Quinn
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 161

I’ve an IIDB appeal this afternoon and I’m trying to cover all of the bases. If my client wants to withdraw the appeal then as long as we supply written notice of the request before the hearing starts the Tribunal will have to accept .
If the hearing is underway an oral request to withdraw would suffice AS LONG AS THE TRIBUNAL CONSENTS
Now, I’ve a strong feeling that I’ll be asked in beforehand to discuss certain points with the Judge without my client. My query is; Does that constitute the start of the hearing?
Cheers

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 771

Yes it does.

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

Bear in mind that a clmt has the right to be present for ALL of the hearing; a Judge doesn’t have the right to positively exclude a clmt in this context.  Unless I had a client that was prone to causing undue disruption, I can’t conceive any situation where I would be comfortable discussing the appeal in the absence of the client.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Martin, can you point to something to verify that.  I would have thought that that would be more akin to an interlocutory hearing with the main proceedings not starting until the appellant’s backside hits the chair, so to speak.

grant
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 71

Tend to go with Paul on this.  I don’t see how the hearing can start until the appellant is present in the Tribunal room.

clucker24
forum member

Tribunal/Casework - Craigavon District CAB, Armagh

Send message

Total Posts: 16

Not sure if this case helps but where the Tribunal failed to record the proceedings in the pre-hearing it was found to be at error of the law. C35/10-11(DLA)

can’t get the link to work but it comes up if you google search it…

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Hopefully C35/10-11(DLA) decision attached to this post.

File Attachments

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

The key sentence it seems to me, at para 9, is:

“In light of the unusual course of events which occurred immediately before the tribunal hearing, the inevitable result is a finding that the tribunal erred in law in holding the meeting which was inextricably connected to the proceedings but which was not part of the formal appeal tribunal proceedings”.

[ Edited: 26 Oct 2011 at 03:18 pm by nevip ]