to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Conversion to ESA and Time limiting Cont. based ESA

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Will clients converted from IB to ESA be subject to time limiting of Cont. based ESA?

I have a client on IS due to still persuing an appeal against failing the PCA for IB - we are awaiting a decision on permission for JR due to refusal of leave to appeal by the UT.

She is on the lowest rate of IIDB of £30.06 pw, now removed due to failing a medical on renewing her provisional award and has appealed, seeking my help with the appeal.

Her IIDB was coming off her IS award, making her no better off. If she gets her IB back following our JR, and gets her IIDB back, her mortgage costs will be reduced (as in the past) due to excess income over her AA. If she does not get her IB back then she will go onto IR ESA or IB JSA, either of which will be reduced due to IIDB.

Also if she gets her IB back, which will then be converted, and if her Con Based ESA is time limited, she will go onto IR ESA anyway and the IIDB will come off this.

I am having difficulty in justifying any work I may do on this case as I cannot see the financial benefit to the client. With cuts to our funding and increased workloads I have to be more choosy over where I put my efforts.

Any comments would be appreciated….

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

To answer your main question : Yes, the 12 month rule applies to all ESA claimants who are in the Work Related Activity Group(whether new claimants or IS/IB claimants transferred over) and there does not seem to be any transitional protection.

File Attachments

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Thanks - the sheet is very helpful.

The second part to my query really belongs under a different part of the forum, but how would others deal with the issue of justifying work where there is no immediate financial benefit to the client, as in this case? This is not the first one that I have had with IIDB - e.g apart from the obvious cases where the IIDB is reducing a means -tesated benefit pound for pound, arrears of IIDB after a successful appeal will lead to a re-assessment of HB/CTB (if on partial benefit) over the whole period, swallowing up most of the arrears.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

I am fortunate in that I do not have to “justify” work that I do for clients in the same way that colleagues who rely on external funding do.  However, I still wouldn’t waste my time on a hopeless case or where there was no obvious benefit to the client.

However, there are other issues which may influence a decision regarding IIDB cases.  Firstly, there may come a time when that person is not dependant on a means-tested benefit, in which case they would receive IIDB payment in full.  Secondly, and important for a person who is still in, or is likely to return to, work, should they be unfortunate enough to incur a further industrial accident, then any percentage disablement from the first accident is added to that of subsequent accidents, so they may qualify in the future.  In some areas it is not uncommon to come across clients who have suffered 3 or more industrial accidents.