to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Council Tax and Employee Code of Conduct

Rob Price
forum member

Principal Welfare & Income Officer, Shropshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 18

I work for a local authority which has brought in a code of conduct for employees with Housing & Council Tax. This includes:
’ As a representative of the Council all employees are expected to ensure that their Council Tax account is not in arrears. Anyone suffering difficulties and unable to meet their financial commitments must inform their line manager immediately. All reported circumstances will be treated in the strictest confidence.’ and
‘All council tax accounts for internal staff will be checked on an annual basis to ensure they are not in arrears.’
Whilst I recognise the prevalence of the cap-in-hand/on-your-knees approach as an employee these days, can this be legal? For a change I’m asking entirely out of self-interest.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

You’d have to check the fine print in your contract of employment.  It’s unlikely to be a stated term.  If there at all its likely to be something which can be implied from an otherwise general or ambivalent term.  Personally, I think the LA are pushing it but you need to check to be sure.  Ask a contract lawyer to cast an eye over your employment contract.

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

Of course if there wasn’t a public sector pay freeze they might not be in arrears!

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Would seem a bit harsh to me.

Police Officers can expect to have their finances considered in the course of their employment I believe but are treated as welfare issues unless wilful neglect or criminal activity are involved and then disciplinary action may follow.

I should imagine the reason police officers are treated differently is because of the risk of taking a bung etc? Perhaps if its a planning officer or someone with decision making powers its a reasonable approach.

I remember being told once that whatever I said outside of work was as an employee and I should therefore not say anything that may bring the council into disrepute. Which I didn’t.

Personally I’m not sure at the situation and maybe its a Data Protection issue?

The next step would be to do a Credit Reference check maybe? Or cross check with other authorities for employees outside of the employers area. Would those steps be reasonable? Maybe a check on your cat?

Article 8. Right to respect for private and family life
1Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Does that mean (as a full time benefits adviser) that i will now have to sign off Jobseekers Allowance in case my employer finds out?

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

I know of one LA whose employees have amounts for Council Tax deducted directly from their salary, presumably to ensure that they do not accumulate arrears.

nick nicolson
forum member

homeless officer Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 50

Local Authority employees can request deductions from there salery to pay rent if they are Council tenants, but only by request.

Council tax can take deductions from anyones salery by court order.