to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

DWP duty to warn cl’s of all relevant consequences

Pete at CAB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser’ for Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 394

The cl in this case was a UC claimant with LCW/LCWRA. They went abroad for six weeks and notified DWP well beforehand. UC consequently stopped.

The cl has reclaimed and was distressed to find that their LCW/LCWRA has also ended and they will have to start their ‘health journey” again.

The case was originally referred to me for an appeal but I don’t think the decision has broken any rules and I doubt if a Tribunal would be able to do anything other than confirm it.

This being the case we are considering a complaint, the cl says that although they were warned about the loss of UC they were not warned about the ending of the LCWRA as well.

Does anyone know if the DWP has a legal duty to disclose this, they clearly told the cl. about the end of UC but did not elaborate any further. This would seem to be an extremely relevant matter in that the cl says that they would not have gone abroad had they known this and the DWP’s advice was arguably misleading and inadequate. It seems reasonably certain that whoever the cl. spoke to at UC would have had access to the Cl’s UC account and would have known about their LCW/LCWRA

For their part the DWP have said that information is available at .Gov but I have not (so far) found anything that says any more than ‘your UC will stop’