to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

one claimant incapable of acting

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

My cl is female, spanish, 2 children right to reside, partner british is in coma in hospital UC will not speak to her about her joint claim as partner cannot confirm he agrees, teh job centre staff where I am working have no idea how to get past this impasse,
any ideas please

UB40
forum member

Debt and Welfare Advice, Community Money Advice, Launceston

Send message

Total Posts: 209

A DWP Visiting Officer will either need to attend the hospital or make a decision over the phone so that the partner becomes the appointee. I will have a look at my notes on this later.

Diogenes
forum member

Send message

Thanks UB

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 126

Hi Diogenes do you mot have a jobcentre link for dealing with vulnerable clients in positions like this? Our local one resolved a similar case I had.

BenjGlover
forum member

Citizens Advice, North-East Derbyshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1

I had a similar situation to this. I was lucky in the regard that I spoke to the Job centre plus manager and explained the situation and they then spoke to the client and was able to continue. I appreciate this isnt always possible but it worked for me :)

Diogenes
forum member

Send message

Thanks for replies, it is teh job centre who have come to me to find out what to do, they are at a total loss, the link on vulnerable clients would b ehelful please
Thanks

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 126

I don’t know where we get the updates from any more as to who they are, but our local jobcentre has an Employer and Partnership manager who should be able to point you in the right direction.  There is a person in Barnsley jobcentre/DWP who deals with vulnerable people in these sort of extreme cases. There must be someone similar in your area, but there are so many staffing changes in JCP that all that local knowledge is lost.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

ACSSL?

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Hi, the Advance Customer Senior Support Lead (ACSSL) is normally very helpful in such matters, although they may need a short note from medical professional to confirm partner’s incapacity. DM me for ACCSL email address.