Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Fit note to start WCA - state pension age claimant

Liz Wilson
forum member

Money Matters team, 54North homes at Karbon, North East and Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Hi

I’m working with someone who was on irESA support last summer. No lcwra element.

She is part of a mixed age couple. I advised getting a fit note from the GP to start off WCA process. The surgery has refused saying that they won’t issue one as she is retired.

Any advice? I said I’d write to the surgery but wondering if there is anything I can reference to persuade them!

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 184

I’m assuming if no LCWRA that she had LCW?
Did this not transfer to UC claim?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3216

They’re talking nonsense.

11.3 My patient does not work, do I need to issue a fit note?
Yes, your patient may need to provide a fit note to Department for Work and Pensions to claim health-related benefit.

Guidance Getting the most out of the fit note: guidance for healthcare professionals

BHCAC
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker- Bosnia and Herzegovinia Community Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 44

She should have placed in the LCW group as long as their was no break between the ESA and UC Claim- but I think your right in thinking if she feels her health condition has changed or got worse since the ESA assessment she would need a Fit Note ( or written report) from GP- a letter to this effect should get the GP to write this.
Best of luck

Liz Wilson
forum member

Money Matters team, 54North homes at Karbon, North East and Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Thanks all. Thanks Paul - I will quote from the guidance.

No LCW or LCWRA as gap between reaching State Pension age and UC claim.

I’m coming across a number of mixed age customers who don’t realise to claim UC until HB stops sometime after ESA actually stopped - and often it’s more than one month gap before they get referred to me because of rent arrears. And so, the ESA claim has stopped prior to UC claim start date even if they ask for a backdate.

Hoping the new case law helps - at some point - although the gap may still be problematic.