to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Who is a qualifying young person?

WROTricia
forum member

Advice Works, Renfrewshire

Send message

Total Posts: 103

Can someone please confirm (or not) that a young person should be included in their parent’s UC claim minimally until the 1st September following their 16th birthday as long as they are not claiming income-related benefits in their own right? Thank you.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2914

The definition of QYP makes no requirements about education etc until the September after the child reaches 16, so yes they remain a QYP with no strings during that period unless receiving UC in their own right.

NeverSayNo
forum member

Welfare rights department - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 195

I think they can be included in the parent’s UC claim until the parent’s AP that has the 31st August after which the child-turned-young-person turned 16 in it.

If little Johnny turned 16 1st Sept 2023, he is still classed as a child for the UC claim until sometime in August-Sept 2024. It would depend on when the last day of the AP was for his parent. If their AP is 29th to 28th, little Johnny would be in the claim for the AP ending Aug 28th, paid around 6th Sept, but would be out of the claim from AP beginning 29th Aug (which ends 28th Sept and paid 6th Oct).

But if the parent’s AP is 2nd to 1st, little Johnny would be out of the AP 2nd Aug-1st Sept (paid around 10th Sept) because 31st Aug falls in that AP.

So in one universe parents are paid UC in Sept 2024 with little Johnny in the claim, others are not.

[ Edited: 10 Jan 2024 at 03:21 pm by NeverSayNo ]
WROTricia
forum member

Advice Works, Renfrewshire

Send message

Total Posts: 103

Thanks for that, something to bear in mind as well but first I need to get UC to accept that the 16 yr old should be included in the claim until 1/9/2024 despite being an apprentice, any tips on that would be very helpful. I have sent the legislation and the screen shot of replies here but still no joy.