to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC implementing appeal outcomes for single assessment period only

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Just wondering if my experience is a one off or something more widespread?

UC MR and then appeal lodged against what was then the most recent AP (nature of appeal concerned incorrect work allowance being applied). Appeal allowed and UC have implemented but only for the AP under appeal and not subsequent APs. Circumstances haven’t changed so no reason for this.

Anyone seen anything similar?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

Not something that surprises me. Possible explanations include (a) the case manager has interpreted the FtT decision notice narrowly as applying to the specific AP and not more broadly or (b) the UC system does not easily permit a case manager to fiddle around with the level at which a work allowance will be applied generally and it is something that needs to be manually overridden every time an award calculation is done.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1421

Connected to Elliot’s second option, it would be interesting to hear why the wrong work allowance had been applied?

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

My current problem is getting UC to implement a Tribunal Decision, full stop.

Decision date is 01/08/2023. Appeal (against imposition of under-occ charge on a room occupied by tenant’s grandchildren since their births) allowed, on recommendation of DWP’s own PO.

As yet, despite having been sent 2 copies of the decision and at last three requests to implement it, UC refuse to acknowledge the decision, and continue to take unlawful deductions.

(NB: They did not submit a challenge, nor even request a SOR, when they had the chance). Latest response to request for implementation is a note on the journal informing my client that “we cannot help with this”.

Do they just make it up as they go along?

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Thanks both - I will report back if I get any sort of explanation.

@ Charles - this was a client in exempt accommodation.