to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC award has been suspended for over 7 weeks whilst review is completed  

Marie CA
forum member

Citizens Advice Merton & Lambeth

Send message

Total Posts: 28

cl moved from a joint tenancy to a sole tenancy in June 2023, increasing their rent from £550/mth to £1200/mth ( still within LHA)
cl was slow to inform UC of the c in c but did so on the 4th Sept ( after their UC payment on the 2nd Sept)
Cl was asked to submit proof of the new tenancy which they did on the 26th Sept
Cl was expecting a UC payment on the 2nd Oct but none was received
Cl was informed that the Enhanced Review Team was looking into their account and no further payments would be made until the review was completed.
Between the 2nd Oct and the 24th Oct cl contacted UC 3 times to request and update and was informed that the ERT would give a call back within 48 hrs. no calls have been received
I called UC on the 24th Oct and was told the same and message appeared on cl’s junl stating that a 48 hr call back request had been made
Cl lodged a complaint regarding how long the review is taking and lack of communication from the ERT. the complaint has a turnaround time of 15 working days
Again cl did not receive the 48 hr call back requested on the 24th Oct.
What else can the cl do to get their UC account back into payment?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

Suspension is supposed to be discretionary, not automatic, although I am not sure you would know that from the Enhanced Review Team’s cases.

You ought to be able to make representations about any factors (such as hardship) which justify the suspension being lifted. If the doubts only relate to housing costs, then you can argue that it should just be a partial suspension.

You can refer to the Suspension and Termination Guide for further information: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/suspension-and-termination-of-benefits-staff-guide

In principle, the decision to suspend can be challenged by way of judicial review - so you could argue that there is a failure to consider relevant factors etc.

https://cpag.org.uk/welfare-rights/judicial-review/judicial-review-pre-action-letters

A client of mine has just had their award suspended and referred to the “Enhanced Review Team” upon reporting a change of housing costs. They are now bothering her for evidence of addresses from many years ago. I wonder if this is their latest project.

LibraryNerd
forum member

Bassetlaw Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 14

Elliot Kent - 30 October 2023 12:36 PM

A client of mine has just had their award suspended and referred to the “Enhanced Review Team” upon reporting a change of housing costs. They are now bothering her for evidence of addresses from many years ago. I wonder if this is their latest project.

I have a client at the moment who keeps getting Housing Costs refused following intervention from the Enhanced Review Team, despite her sending the evidence in multiple times. It definitely seems to be a theme with the ERT’s current work.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

And possibly an algorithm ?

Zoey Corker
forum member

Welfare Rights Unit - Leeds City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 6

I’ve got one that’s been suspended since June due to this issue over housing costs… I’m now at the end of my tether and have advised the partnership team I’m waiting one more week for a decision or resolution before issuing a pre action protocol letter .. it’s seriously unacceptable for customers to be completely ignored and left without funds for all this time

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

I’ve sent an email via stakeholders to query this - I think it’s likely that they might ask for case details so I’ll come back if they do.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Ruth Knox - 01 November 2023 12:35 PM

Indeed.

I’ve been dreading this moment.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

Dan Manville - 02 November 2023 01:44 PM

Indeed.

Humph! Algorithms is good, they is just misused too often.

Marie CA
forum member

Send message

The validity of how claimants are being chosen for review is one thing but what is causing the bigger issue is that it is not possible to contact anyone who has the authority or the knowledge to discuss the review and what the claimant can do / provide for it to be concluded. Is this Enhanced Review Team a new ‘thing’?

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Gareth Morgan - 02 November 2023 05:04 PM
Dan Manville - 02 November 2023 01:44 PM

Indeed.

they is just misused too often.

Aye, and where I work these days someone might expect me to try and fix that. That’s the main bit I’m dreading.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 334

Marie CA - 02 November 2023 06:21 PM

The validity of how claimants are being chosen for review is one thing but what is causing the bigger issue is that it is not possible to contact anyone who has the authority or the knowledge to discuss the review and what the claimant can do / provide for it to be concluded. Is this Enhanced Review Team a new ‘thing’?

It’s not a new thing. It is a major pain in the posterior precisely because they are so “dark”. I’ve had few clients like this. Current one- no payments since June!

MP letter, complaint, enquiring via our DWP partnership manager- nothing works.
The only thing that works is JR PAP, and sometimes a “proper” JR. They seem above the law and impervious to causing a major hardship and distress.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

DWP have asked for case details so that they can look into this further. If any of you can send me names and Ninos by email that would be really helpful (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) - thanks

Marie CA
forum member

Send message

Just called the cl and a member of the complaints team called them yesterday and cl received a fast payment for just under £2000.  Also the cl was lead to believe that UC will give her a back payment to when they moved into their new property as they recognised that they had made a mistake.  Fingers crossed but thanks for raising the issue Daphne as it sounds like a few cl are being affected