to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC statements where work allowance applied

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2915

Calling anyone familiar with the appearance of UC statements in work allowance cases.

Dealing with a couple case where we think one claimant was probably assessed as having LCW back in 2019.  I have seen one UC statement, but not so far had sight of the journal.

The statement I have seen refers to an amount of take-home pay received by the other claimant, and shows a taper which is 55% of that take-home pay.  What I want to know is, if DWP had applied a work allowance would this be clear from the statement: is it possible that the take-home pay figure has had the work allowance pre-deducted, or would the statement make it clear if that was the case?

Have asked the housing association officer who is in direct contact with the claimants to (i) check pay slips for the AP in question and (ii) harvest some journal entries from around the time we think WCA took place, but thought I would ask here about the presentation of earnings in the statement for a bit of extra background.

Thanks

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

Yes is the short answer.

I have pulled one up just now and have copied it down below.

(In this instance, the claimants are a couple, one of whom doesn’t work and the other is self-employed. They have housing costs and a child so the work allowance is £379. The statement is from September 2023 so it may or may not be that the wording was the same in 2019 - I can’t remember)

What we take off (deductions)

Take-home pay ‑£284.22
Need help understanding take home pay?
Take-home pay is what’s left after tax, National Insurance and any pension contributions have been deducted.

[Claimant A]
The amount we’ll use to work out your Universal Credit is £0.00

[Claimant B]
Earnings from self-employment £895.77
Total earnings £895.77

Your expected earnings (Minimum Income Floor) is £722.45

The amount we’ll use to work out your Universal Credit is £895.77

The total take-home pay for [Claimant A] and [Claimant B] this period is £895.77

The first £379.00 of your take-home pay doesn’t affect your Universal Credit monthly amount. Every £1.00 you earn in take-home pay over this amount reduces your Universal Credit by 55 pence.

ETA: I have had a quick search in my inbox and found some statements from 2019 and 2020 and they use exactly the same phrasing where the work allowance is applied. So I would be quite confident that if there is no mention of it in the statement you are looking at, that is because it wasn’t applied.

[ Edited: 13 Oct 2023 at 07:41 pm by Elliot Kent ]
HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2915

Thanks again Elliot, been a great help to me today/yesterday