× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Court of appeal judge praises ‘jolly useful’ ChatGPT

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

A court of appeal judge has used ChatGPT to provide a summary of an area of law, and called the chatbot that is powered by artificial intelligence “jolly useful”.

Lord Justice Birss said that he asked the AI tool to provide a summary of an area of law and received a paragraph that he felt was acceptable as an answer ...

“I think what is of most interest is that you can ask these large language models to summarise information. It is useful and it will be used and I can tell you, I have used it,” he said.

“I’m taking full personal responsibility for what I put in my judgment, I am not trying to give the responsibility to somebody else. All it did was a task which I was about to do and which I knew the answer and could recognise as being acceptable.”

This is the first known use of ChatGPT by a British judge to write part of a judgment.

More: Court of appeal judge praises ‘jolly useful’ ChatGPT after asking it for legal summary