to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

LHA - bedroom to store equipment connected to disability

Pete at CAB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser’ for Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 392

I seem to remember a Tribunal decision regarding an extra bedroom being allowed where there was a significant amount of equipment to be stored- I cant find it anywhere and I am beginning to think I may have imagined it! Any ideas anyone?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

This is the situation of Mr Rourke in the Carmichael case. His case failed at the Supreme Court and it was held that it is sufficient to deal with this sort of case by way of DHP.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Just in case it is relevant I had success arguing at FTT that a room had ceased to be a bedroom and had become a ‘treatment room’ prior to the tenancy beginning due to home dialysis equipment.

The facts of the case were quite specific but I was able to distinguish from previous case law as the 2 bedroom property was allocated specifically to be adapted for this client and there were adaptations that had to be made to plumbing and electrics to enable dialysis to take place in the room. I also got confirmation from the landlord that the adaptations would need to be reversed before they would re-let to new tenants as a 2 bed.

This one was referred to us on the basis that the client was ‘storing medical equipment’ in the 2nd bedroom so just thought I would mention.