Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

State Pension- When does time working in the EU contribute to State Pension- Does working after state pension age contribute to state pension? 

BHCAC
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker- Bosnia and Herzegovinia Community Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 45

Hi there, I mainly focus on cased around UC/ PIP and increasingly Pension Credit. My knowledge of State Pension has some gaps.

Firstly my understanding is that once someone reaches State Pension age, if they continue to work then they do not have to pay National Insurance and thus can no longer contribute to State Pension- e.g. to cover any gaps - is this correct?

Secondly- I have a client who has worked for eight years in the UK and has eight qualifying years for State Pension thus is not entitled. He has advised me he worked in Italy before this- my understanding is there is a way this could contribute towards the ten years- is this correct and what are the circumstances in which this apply and if it is the case how is best to progress with DWP?

The client is not eligible for Pension Credit as his partner is not yet State Pension age- I have advised they can apply for UC- any other advice would be welcome.

Many Thanks

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1421

BHCAC
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker- Bosnia and Herzegovinia Community Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 45

This is really helpful, Thanks