to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Is there a new verification exercise?

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 475

I have just seen a chap who is fortunately just in time to challenge the decision that he’s been given a whopping mid 5 figure overpayment due to failure to verify his claim.

This isn’t a claim that was made during Covid, it was made in 2017 then (ahem) closed in 2022 after a verification exercise.

Is isn’t quite all square with the retro verification of claims made during Covid so I thought i’d check if I’m missing anything. has anyone else seen similar?

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1020

Dan Manville - 31 July 2023 02:41 PM

I have just seen a chap who is fortunately just in time to challenge the decision that he’s been given a whopping mid 5 figure overpayment due to failure to verify his claim.

This isn’t a claim that was made during Covid, it was made in 2017 then (ahem) closed in 2022 after a verification exercise.

Is isn’t quite all square with the retro verification of claims made during Covid so I thought i’d check if I’m missing anything. has anyone else seen similar?

I forget all the terms Dan, but off the top of my hazy recollections they also have a ‘UC risk review’ team looking at cases retrospectively. Separate from the ‘repair’ team retro covid verification.

Can’t remember if Jo (Cabbie from Hillingdon) has posted here or on CITA’s Friendface about it.

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 370

I’m seeing a lot of people get messages from the ‘enhanced review team’ saying they have doubts about ‘the legitimacy’ of someone’s claim….& then suspending it.

Haven’t had anyone overpaid as a result yet, but people being told they have to reverify everything & won’t get paid til they do.

For most I can’t see any particular reason for the doubt, though it is possible some of these people are being overpaid.

forum member

Send message

WillH - 24 August 2023 04:29 PM

I’m seeing a lot of people get messages from the ‘enhanced review team’ saying they have doubts about ‘the legitimacy’ of someone’s claim….& then suspending it.

Haven’t had anyone overpaid as a result yet, but people being told they have to reverify everything & won’t get paid til they do.

For most I can’t see any particular reason for the doubt, though it is possible some of these people are being overpaid.

I wonder if poorly written algorithms are needlessly trawling up people? I know the PLP are looking at that stuff.

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 370

Oh… I hadn’t even thought of that Andy. You could well be right.

forum member

Send message