Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

reconsideration requests

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 475

Is it just me?

I ring UC to request recon of a sanction decision with the claimant on the line.

“We’ll have to ask the case manager to call you…” comes the reply.

The case manager doesn’t call.

This fella’s been sanctioned for 6 months now.

It feels like they’re trying to push back on recon requests and it’s really spoiling my Monday.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 338

And this is why I never do this on the phone. Yes, it would be quicker and cheaper but the call handlers’ training is so varied and inconsistent, and you cannot see what they write in the notes - it is not worth the risk. I bet you Dan, that if you called again, and got to speak to another call handler, the conversation could have taken a different turn.

Dan Manville
forum member

Send message

Jo_Smith - 03 July 2023 02:20 PM

And this is why I never do this on the phone. .

But you write to them, the letter doesn’t arrive at UC and you end up ringing them to chase it with the client on the call anyway.

Farce doesn’t go far enough.

This is the third time we’ve requested the recon… it’s not as if there’s any variance; I ask for the recon and “we’ll have to ask the case manager to call you” is the stock reply.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 630

Can you not request the recon via the online journal?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Benny Fitzpatrick - 03 July 2023 02:37 PM

I’m assuming this is a phone claim. With how difficult phone claims admin can be I’m often tempted to advise clients without access to just do an online claim and manage it from our offices/open access computers. Sadly I don’t have the supporting staff to make that sustainable.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Send message

Va1der - 03 July 2023 02:48 PM

I’m assuming this is a phone claim. With how difficult phone claims admin can be I’m often tempted to advise clients without access to just do an online claim and manage it from our offices/open access computers. Sadly I don’t have the supporting staff to make that sustainable.

I know exactly what you mean. Our service has a similar problem in that we cannot provide the often intensive support necessary to help people manage and sustain a claim.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 338

Dan Manville - 03 July 2023 02:35 PM

But you write to them, the letter doesn’t arrive at UC and you end up ringing them to chase it with the client on the call anyway.

Farce doesn’t go far enough.

Indeed. We’ve had to learn to cope with malfunctioning administration which is a very costly business for us, in terms of time and effort spent trying to communicate vulnerable clients’ needs to the Sauron Tower.

What makes me mad is that our (sometimes exceptional) skills and knowledge as advisers are used to sit on the phone, on hold, or trying to relay simple messages to poorly trained message takers.

If a client does not have online claim, I write a letter, plus I often send it as an email to our DWP partnership manager.
I have lost count of clients who on no account should have been set up with an online claim but do have one, simply because it is easier for all supporters to communicate with DWP.  It is only because DWP is failing the most vulnerable to ensure easy access.

So I think you do have to write a letter Dan :)

Dan Manville
forum member

Send message

He’s locked out of his journal. Whoever encouraged him to make a claim online should have a stern word…

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Send message

Dan Manville - 03 July 2023 03:48 PM

He’s locked out of his journal. Whoever encouraged him to make a claim online should have a stern word…

Which of course raises the question of whether JCP have sufficiently assessed his capability and any need for support. (I suspect we both know the answer to that!)

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1020

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/universal_credit_making_mandator#comment-87155 from back in 2018 equally applies to phone MR’s.

Its like ‘untidy tenancies’ / absent joint tenant same old same old again and again.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1020

Dan Manville - 03 July 2023 03:48 PM

The amount of times we come across clients who cannot manage an on line claim don’t know their user names, passwords, 16 digit pin numbers etc etc. Who can only access it by visiting the job centre?

Why they are not on non-digital claims begs so so many questions all the way up all the DWP stratifications within the hierarchies right to the Secretary of State.

Off the top of my head, I think Neil Couling talked about a figure of 2% for non-digital claims several years ago in a tweet or to a parliamentary committee.

But 1 in 5 of us across the nation last time I looked, are digitally illiterate and 1 in 6 of us are functionally illiterate. Notwithstanding any other of factors that would make managing an on line claim to much for some.

But that is not reflected in the available stats.

Forgive the grandiose ideation and bribery but if any higher ups happen upon this, you couldn’t ask the above could you please to the etc etc. In return for Dorset apple cake.