to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC and absence abroad - “one month”

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 189

I think I am overthinking this but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer…

I know UC can be paid for one month, if your absence is not expected to exceed, and does not exceed, one month, but I cannot find a definitive answer on how the departure day and arrival day are treated (as they will be in GB for part of that day).

The UC guidance didn’t clear it up for me.  The situation is my client intends to fly 20/7 and return 21/8 which would exceed “one month”, but if the travel days are ignored then she’s only ‘absent’ from 21/7 to 20/8 so it would be fine! 

I’ve just seen an overpayment decision (on another case) and that ignored the travel dates.  If anyone can point me to a definitive answer (or just let me know your thoughts!), I’d be very grateful! 

If the flights weren’t already booked I’d advise them to err on the side of caution but I don’t want her to shell out money to change the flight if the booked trip is fine. 

Thank you

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1426

The ADM at C1122 says that a person is regarded as being “in GB” on any day on which they are there for part of the day. Therefore the day of arrival and departure count as days when they are “in” GB.

It doesn’t necessarily follow that the above applies to the one month temporary absence rule, but my understanding is that DWP do indeed apply it that way.