Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Pension Service have not completed MRDN 2 years later!

Padula
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team at South Tyneside Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Hi
I am looking for some advice. I submitted a MR of a PC OP decision in February 2021.
Despite countless calls to the Pension Service with promises of a call back from the DM (non received), we are no further forward.
Two complaints have also been made with absolutely no acknowledgement.
In the latest call to the PS, we were advised that there is no evidence to support the MR.
Even if that were the case, regulations are that a MRDN needs to be made so appeal can be pursued.
Does anyone have any advice on where we can go from here?

C Browne
forum member

Macmillan Cancer Support

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Dear Padula,

You may wish to consider pursuing Judicial Review proceedings. You can find more about this (and get lots of useful advice and support) from CPAG Judicial Review Project (check their website). This should result in a decision being issued and then you can help your client pursue their right of appeal.

However, you may get a more rapid response by helping the client to pursue the complaint via their MP.

Good luck

Chris

Padula
forum member

Welfare Benefits Team at South Tyneside Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Thats very helpful.
Many thanks

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Sounds like they’ve made a decision already - there wasn’t enough evidence to support the MR so they’ve refused it. I’d try to proceed to appeal on that basis.

Alternatively/in addition: throw in a subject access request for the MRN, or any documents relating to their treatment of it. Might dislodge things.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

You might want to contact Dan Manville of this parish perhaps as he’s also been doing some work on a similar case to a successful outcome of sorts I believe.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 470

I’ll redact the letter before action.

“of sorts”... the cheek! ;)

Va1der has got a point in it sounds like they’ve considered the recon already just not got round to notifying the outcome. Once it’s “considered” that opens the door to appealing irrespective of whether the decision has been notified.

I’d get on the blower to the Pensions Service and find out when that note was added…

until the MRN is issued your appeal clock hasn’t started ticking, but the door’s open to your appealing once the MR has been “considered”.

[ Edited: 11 May 2023 at 05:03 pm by Dan Manville ]
Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Dan Manville - 11 May 2023 04:03 PM

I’ll redact the letter before action.

“of sorts”... the cheek! ;)

Va1der has got a point in it sounds like they’ve considered the recon already just not got round to notifying the outcome. Once it’s “considered” that opens the door to appealing irrespective of whether the decision has been notified.

I’d get on the blower to the Pensions Service and find out when that note was added…

until the MRN is issued your appeal clock hasn’t started ticking, but the door’s open to your appealing once the MR has been “considered”.

the qualifier was simply about your comments about the LAA mate, nothing to do with the result of your case

[ Edited: 11 May 2023 at 10:49 pm by Paul_Treloar_AgeUK ]