to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

AA claimed while PIP appeal ongoing

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 309

my client has an ongoing PIP appeal, waiting for a hearing date, he now tells me he has claimed AA as he has passed pension age, AA has been awarded, what will happen re the PIP claim, if he wins his PIP appeal ??

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3216

Any PIP award can be paid up to the date of the AA award and then stops.

Diogenes
forum member

Send message

so if the Tribunal awarded enhanced mobility for example, it would only be paid up to the AA award, my client would then lose out on potential mobility award as there is none with AA !!!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Afraid so, sec.17 of the Social Security Act 1988 applies which says any decision made will be final and as the PIP decision relates to a period before the date of the AA decision, the AA decision making the award is the final operative decision for your client.

Diogenes
forum member

Send message

oh dear !!!

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 770

I think s.17 is not in play here- for that to bite then there would need to be a rule in PIP legislation which means a person is not entitled to PIP for any day when they are entitled to AA.

But there isn’t.

As with most pairs of benefits like this the exclusion works one way round only: entitlement to PIP excludes entitlement to AA but not the other way around.

So there is no equivalent in PIP legislation of s.64(1)-(1A) SSCBA 1992 (which stops someone getting AA where PIP awarded).

We have dealt with cases like this before - the FTT can make whatever award it wants. The DWP can then amend the AA award and treat it as paid on account of PIP etc.

Martin

Diogenes
forum member

Send message

ok Martin, I am advising my client to carry on with his PIP appeal as the hearing date is close anyway, I thought I saw something in CPAG that says if you get PIP mobility but not care you can also get AA , so both can be paid together, it implied you can’t get AA and PIP care components together,
its a mess anyway , if only clients would ask before they start banging in claims for benefits it would make life easier.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Martin Williams - 05 April 2023 12:40 PM

I think s.17 is not in play here- for that to bite then there would need to be a rule in PIP legislation which means a person is not entitled to PIP for any day when they are entitled to AA.

But there isn’t.

As with most pairs of benefits like this the exclusion works one way round only: entitlement to PIP excludes entitlement to AA but not the other way around.

So there is no equivalent in PIP legislation of s.64(1)-(1A) SSCBA 1992 (which stops someone getting AA where PIP awarded).

We have dealt with cases like this before - the FTT can make whatever award it wants. The DWP can then amend the AA award and treat it as paid on account of PIP etc.

Martin

Blimey, thanks for that Martin.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Martin Williams - 05 April 2023 12:40 PM

But there isn’t.

Martin

Can I just check so I am absolutely clear on this Martin, in the situation you describe, once the PIP award is made by FtT, the AA award is terminated as basic condition of entitlement is no longer satisfied and so the PIP award continues in payment regardless. Does this happen routinely or does it require negotiation with DWP/

I think I was getting confused about reclaims for the same benefit and if I am correct in the above, it would be very useful to let our advisers know about this. Thanks.

Diogenes
forum member

Send message

it would be very good if the DWP do follow this line, I am also interested in the cpag advice that AA and DLA can both be paid, the AA for care and the DLA for mobility,  still lots to learn on this stuff even though i\ have been doing it ofr ages !!!