Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

SSMG for mixed imm. status couple inc. NRPF

ZoeHBF
forum member

Welfare and Housing, Helen Bamber Foundation (London)

Send message

Total Posts: 82

One of our clients is claiming asylum and receives financial support under s95 subs and the NRM, and lives with a partner who has leave and claims UC (standard allowance and housing element) whilst also working part-time.

She is close to her due date and has applied for the Sure Start Maternity Grant, on the basis that her partner receives UC, however it’s my understand that the SSMG (as a ‘social fund’ payment) is a public fund, and therefore she shouldn’t claim it?

She has made the claim, we have informed the SSMG people that she has NRPF but her partner receives UC. Her partner was called by UC and told to add her onto his claim, which he has now done (though presumably should still only receive the single rate, because she has NRPF).

She has then since been sent a text by the Sure Start Maternity Grant saying that her claim has been awarded, and she will receive the £500 shortly. I can’t tell if this is OK or not (I would have presumed not, as she has NRPF?!).

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3214

This information from Maternity Action suggests the SSMG is public funds.

Public funds

Public funds include Universal Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA), income-related employment and support allowance (ESA), Pension Credit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit,  Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Carer’s Allowance, Social Fund payments, including the Sure Start Maternity Grant, ...

No recourse to public funds: maternity rights and benefits

ZoeHBF
forum member

Welfare and Housing, Helen Bamber Foundation (London)

Send message

Total Posts: 82

Yes that is what I was thinking, but I’m not sure if her partner being on UC (i.e. he would be eligible for the SSMG if he were the one giving birth!) makes any difference here? I realise it’s a different thing, but you can receive child benefit on behalf of a partner who has NRPF, if you meet the other criteria for child benefit.

LibraryNerd
forum member

Bassetlaw Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 14

Hi Zoe,

There’s no requirement for the Sure Start Maternity Grant to be paid to the mother of the child. It can be paid to her partner if they are both living together as a couple. As clt’s partner is able to claim public funds, they shouldn’t fall foul of the NRPF rules.

The Universal Credit claim will still be paid as a single claim, although clt’s income and savings will be taken into account when calculating the award each month.